I know. I know. You don't have any time for self care this week. But isn't that just the point of self care? We need it the most when we feel like we have the least time to give to it.
The truth is that your friends, family, coworkers, and students really need for you to take care of yourself. When you don't they have to pay because you have a short fuse, make mistakes, and get sick.
So what if you take just five minutes today? Here are some things you can try:
- Say "No thank you" to anything else you are asked to do.
- Step outside and breath in the air
- Set the timer, close your eyes, and breathe deeply
- Take a walk around the block
- Choose a snack that is fresh fruit, veggies or nuts
- Listen to your favorite holiday song
- Call someone to tell them you appreciate them
- Water your plants
And if that feels really good and you are willing to take a bit more time, try something from this list:
- Take a walk in the woods
- Breathe through a gentle yoga class
- Share a meal with family or friends
- Catch up on a bit of housework
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Take a long bath
- Make a list of things and people for whom you are thankful
- Make something
- Read a book or magazine
You know what resonates with you and will refresh you. Now go do it.
P. S. Mark your calendar December 26, now and give yourself a great gift---The Best Teacher Gift Ever.